Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Project...

So as with most things, everything tends to happen all at once. We had Paul and shortly there after I was given two new refinishing projects. An old library table and a china cabinet.

I enjoy the hands on projects and it gave me something to do while everyone was napping in the afternoons. I started with the table because it just needed to have a veneer removed, then sand, then finish. The china cabinet has several layers of high quality, most likely lead based paint and is going to take a bit more work.

Anyway. I have finished the table. The veneer took almost three days to get off - due to the quality old fashioned construction. It took another two days to sand,  what with all of the corners and various edges and the different levels of sandpaper I used. One day to stain it, a beautiful dark kona wood. Then three coats of polyurethane done throughout the course of a single day - early morning, late evening, and 10 o'clock at night (that was last night.)

The polyurethane has dried, but it needs a few more days to cure. I have moved it inside to help it out. There is much less humidity in the AC. Here are some pictures from the project ad well as a shot of the china cabinet. Just thought I would share.






No comments:

Post a Comment