Sunday, July 18, 2010

You should try this

It is delicious. I was skeptical the first time my grandma made it for me. I don't eat a lot of tomato. I usually eat tomatoes after they are cooked and canned and made into spaghetti sauce, chili soup, or salsa. I usually don't eat fresh tomatoes on a salad. They can be very messy to eat and I tend to avoid foods that are messy to eat. It's the same reason I seldom eat fried chicken. What can I say? I'm a girl and I don't want to get dirty.

But this sandwich is delicious. Even if you get a little messy, it is worth it. So give it try this summer.

Here is what you need:
~a nice plump tomato from your garden (red or yellow, whatever you prefer)
~two slices of homemade bread (a sturdy loaf of you buy it from the store, but you should really try making your own bread sometime - it is infinitely better)
~a slice of cheese (muenster is my favorite for this sandwich, but use what you have handy)
~butter
~mayonnaise

Here is what you do:
Heat a skillet to a medium heat. Generously butter the outside of the bread. Place bread butter side down in the skillet, placing cheese on one piece to melt. Slice your tomato and set aside. When the bread is nice and grilled, transfer both slices to a plate. Put mayo on the piece of bread that does not have cheese. Lay your juicy tomato on the bread and put both sides of the sandwich together.
You will have enjoyed a delightful experience of summer. Your hands will get greasy and juice from the tomato will drip. It is okay. Eat over your plate and wash your hands when you are finished. You will enjoy it - your husband and toddler will, too!

P.S. The tomato was from our garden. The bread was homemade, just not by me - thank you, Mom!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. That looks good! Did you make your own bread?

    I think I'll put that on the menu for next week. :) Fast, easy, and won't heat up the kitchen, my kind of summer food!

    ReplyDelete